Sunday, March 25, 2007

Hackles

Mom was just saying the other day, that I don't show my hackles very often. I like barking at other dogs, but usually don't feel threatened by them. Well, the neighbor thinks we have too many wild critters in our neighborhood, so he likes to trap the raccoons and take them out to the woods. Mom thinks the raccoons he moves, are just replaced by new ones and that it's kind of futile to keep catching them and moving them, but that's another topic.

Anyway, mom sees me make a bigger circle out in the yard, than I usually do. My head was down in stalking mode and she also saw hackles of fur, up on my back. So, she comes down to see what is under the tree. She thought it was a big ol' raccoon all scrunched up in the small Hav-a-heart trap. Poor thing had no room to move. So, that was the reason for the hackles. She has no idea if raccoons make any noises, because that one was quiet, even though we were looking at it.

So, there you have it. I do know how to get my hackles up! Oh yeah, she wants you to know that the next time we were outside, the neighbor had taken the trap and gone somewhere with it, so the raccoon wasn't scrunched up all day!

1 comment:

Riley said...

Hi Jasmine,
My mom is starting to let me answer other dog blogs. I had to earn the priviledge. So, hopefully I won't blow it.

It was nice that you could warn your people that you had a wild animal close to your yard.

My mom doesn't like when there is wildlife - mostly chirping birds - around, because then I don't take care of my business fast enough.

Oh well, I better go stake out a nice chunk of floor and go to bed.

Riley